So Costco’s Kirkland brand baby wipes were my favorite wipes. After consulting the cosmeticsdatabase.com, I realized they have an extremely hazardous ingredient, 2-BROMO-2-NITROPROPANE-1,3-DIOL – it’s listed as a 10 – the highest level of hazard! Additionally, they contain PEG-75 LANOLIN which contains dioxanes (listed by the EPA as a probably human carcinogen); also contains PROPYLENE GLYCOL which is another ingredient one should avoid, and 4 other ingredients that are listed as a moderate hazard. So I will be changing wipes. I think I will go for some unbleached, organic cotton cloth wipes and just wash them. Plain ole water should not be a hazard, not to mention I will save money (which is important right now). Pitty I have been using Kirkland wipes for over 2 years.
The Cosmetics Database lists these as the top 10 wipes (again, I always recommend checking the database yourself and verifying the ingredients as the database is not always accurate as formulas frequently change, though maybe less often for baby wipes.) Their hazard ranking follows the name of the wipes (though please note again to check all ingredients as many contain parabens, propylene glycol and other harmful ingredients).
After looking at the ingredients, only Seventh Generation and Tushies contain all low hazard ingredients, so these are probably the only ones I will consider using in the future. I have heard good things about both. And these wipes are also whitened without the use of bleach! Yes, baby wipes as well as other paper goods, are whitened with bleach. And some of the residue may remain, so you are potentially wiping yours and your baby’s bottom with bleach. Yuck.
1. Seventh Generation Unscented Baby Wipes with Aloe Vera & Vitamin E baby wipes 1
2. Tushies Baby Wipes with Aloe Vera, Unscented baby wipes 1
3. Mother Nature Wipes Unscented Natural Formula Flushable Wipes baby wipes 2
4. Inspiration Vibration VIBEbaby herbal baby wipes baby wipes 2
5. Avalon Organics FLUSHABLE BIODEGRADABLE BABY WIPES baby wipes 2
6. Avalon Baby Flushable Biodegradable Baby Wipes baby wipes 2
7. HUGGIES Natural Care Disposable Washcloths baby wipes 3
8. Pampers Wipes Sensitive baby wipes 3
9. Pampers Sensitive Touch Wipes, Alcohol Free baby wipes 3
10. Pampers Wipes Natural Aloe Unscented baby wipes 3
Happy wiping! 🙂