HOW TO USE ESSENTIAL OILS
Essential oils are either diffused or applied topically. A few drops in a diffuser is all you need. You can use this method to freshen a room or help treat a condition. I love to diffuse eucalyptus when I have a cold. It helps me breathe easier. (Eucalyptus isn’t recommended for children under 10, as it can cause respiratory issues.) Lavendar is a great calming oil and can also help freshen a room.
If applying topically, always dilute in a carrier oil, like fractionated coconut oil. Almond oil, apricot oil and evening primrose oil are also great carriers. The first 2 are great for helping treat skin conditions and the later great for women’s issues. I use glass roller balls so my oils are pre-diluted and ready to use when I need them. Typically, you would then use the roller back and apply to the spine or bottoms of feet, or directly to an affected area if treating a skin condition.
Ingesting essential oils is never recommended, no matter the brand, no matter if the consultant says their oils are pure enough to ingest. It’s just not recommended.
USING ESSENTIAL OILS SAFELY
Essential oils have medicinal qualities and should be treated as such. When used properly they can help treat many conditions. But so be sure to use them safely.
- I can’t say this enough. Never ingest, no matter the brand or what a consultant may advise. Unless under the care of a certified aromatherapist, it’s not advisable to do.
- Always dilute when using topically.
- Some essential oils are not considered safe for children. Peppermint isn’t recommended until age 6, eucalyptus age 10.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, be sure the oils are safe for you. Peppermint can decrease milk supply in sensitive individuals for example.
- Others oils are not safe for pets, including but not limited to tea tree oil, cinnamon and peppermint. Many other are safe and effective against repelling ticks and fleas. But always do your research or talk to your vet first.
- Make sure the oils are 100% pure essential oil with nothing added.
You will find people say “we used these on our kids are they are fine.” But these recommendations came about because children were having breathing or other difficulties when around certain oils. Enough of a pattern developed to warrant having recommendations.
I love using oils! Plant Therapy is my favorite brand, thigh I have a few others. They promote safe usage, they are pure and affordable. You can use this link to get 💲🔟 off a 💲2️⃣5️⃣ order at Plant Therapy.
Want even more of this type of content in a community setting? Join my Facebook group, Natural and Holistic Living Mama.